Monday, February 1, 2010

"It would never happen to me"

So, there I was. Doing the hardest test that I had ever done. I couldn't study, yet I still kind of knew what the results would be. I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that this would be positive. I think this is the only time in my life that I hoped for negative results in a test.
Yep, you guessed it. It was my pregnancy test. My mum could see that something was bothering me. When she asked me if I was okay I told her that I was late. She immediately knew what I had meant. Sleeping with my then boyfriend was only a recent event, and surely not something my mum knew, so yeah, she was shocked! Horrified!
She said that I was never to speak to him again. Off course I tried to defend him! He had promised the whole world and then some to me when I told him I was late. We had our whole lives ahead of us, and probably a baby as well. There was no way that I was going to cut him off!
And there began our first fight. You know mothers! They always know best! She said that it was in my best interest not to see him anymore. I knew she was going to say that! I didn't care! I was not planning on listening to her. It was my life! I was in control! I was making the decisions, not some one who thought she knew best.
After a few hours of quarreling, Mum said that she would buy me a home test in the morning. When I woke up, I went downstairs to get some breakfast. I started thinking that I was imagining things. If I were pregnant, surely I would feel sick this early in the morning. At the bottom of the stairs was an unmarked brown paper bag. I knew it was foe me. I picked it up, almost crushing it in my hands, and went to the bathroom.
The easiest test in the world (peeing on a stick) is definitely the hardest one ever! You know what you must do, and even if you haven't been to the toilet at all that day, you are as dry as a desert. That's exactly how I felt. I read the instructions and every other thing printed on the box and the leaflet about sixty five times (although the pictures on the side shows you more than you need to know) before I finally managed to actually do the test.
It said to wait for three minutes. If there is no lines, the test did not work. If there is 1 line, it is negative. If there are two lines, it's positive. I had another 2 minutes and 55 seconds left when I wanted to put the safety cap on. Before I could put it on, there were two lines.
Surely it must have been a mistake, because it said to wait for 3 whole minutes. I was sure that one of the lines would disappear in the next 2 minutes. It didn't.
I was pregnant.
I was 18 years old and pregnant.
I was not married, 18 years old and pregnant.
I was alone.
I was scared.
I was a disappointment, a failure, a disgrace, an embarrassment.
Yesterday I had courage to fight back with Mum. I thought I was smarter than she was. I thought I could conquer the world.
Some part of me knew all along that I was pregnant, but I kept thinking THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME! IT ONLY HAPPENS TO A FRIEND OF A FRIEND'S RELATIVE. IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Single Mom! All your comments are well-apreciated.

Enjoy your day!

Neikie